SimpleGraph: Fixed or relative StartPoints (Links)

Please post bug reports, feature requests, or any question regarding the DELPHI AREA projects here.

SimpleGraph: Fixed or relative StartPoints (Links)

Postby BadJoker » April 5th, 2006, 11:28 am

Hi,

(newbie here so forgive me if I ask any silly question!)

I am having problem with attaching links to a node.

As you can see in the folowing figure, it is pretty simple to attach (hook) two links to a node.

ok, now when I move the node, this will happen:

The end points of those linke are fixed but the starting point is relative and they will change when node position is chaning.

now, I like to have something like this:

which means even if I move the node, I want those starting points to be fixed and attached to my node and not relative. ( I have shown this with red points in the figure )

or for example I like to design something like this:

which I think is not possible to do as both links will overlap each other if I do that! Althought it is possible to have some tricks with break points doing this but that is not good.

I have tried FixedEnd and FixedStart points but they don't give me the option to attach the StartPoint (or endPoint) to the note and not make them relative.

Any solution for that?
BadJoker

Postby kokkoras » April 5th, 2006, 11:41 am

The link is assumed to start from the center of a node. Simply, the part of the link fron the center to the outline of the node is not drawn. Using properly set breakpoints is a solution. Your request is logical but is hard to implement and since this is one-man project we should better let Kambiz to focus on more important features.
Fotis
kokkoras

Postby Kambiz » April 5th, 2006, 12:19 pm

It was better if you could attach images in your post, because I can't see them. :(

I'm living in a region that its government filter some web sites. If they don't, there are some web sites that they filter IPs from this region. Therefore, I'm almost on an Intranet rather than Internet. :?
Kambiz
Kambiz
Administrator
Administrator

Postby BadJoker » April 5th, 2006, 5:34 pm

The link is assumed to start from the center of a node. Simply, the part of the link fron the center to the outline of the node is not drawn.

This is exactly what it does and I was wondering if we can change this.

Using properly set breakpoints is a solution.

Actually I've done that but the problem is when you change the node position, you will have the same problem!

Your request is logical but is hard to implement and since this is one-man project we should better let Kambiz to focus on more important features.

I am sorry but I didn't know this could take a long time to develop, but I guess this can be a very good feature for this.

by the way I have attached the figures here (they are NOT in order but they all have description as an order)

Thanks very much
Attachments
FIG_1.gif
Figure 1
FIG_1.gif (1.52 KiB) Viewed 2530 times
FIG_2.gif
Figure 2
FIG_2.gif (1.76 KiB) Viewed 2530 times
FIG_3.gif
Figure 3
FIG_3.gif (1.86 KiB) Viewed 2530 times
FIG_4.gif
Figure 4
FIG_4.gif (1.59 KiB) Viewed 2530 times
BadJoker

Postby HPW » April 5th, 2006, 6:08 pm

The discussed Group-feature could help in this case maybe.
Make a normal visible node and very small connect nodes where you
want to connect the links. Then group the normal and the connect node together to be handled as one thing.
Hans-Peter
HPW

Postby Kambiz » April 5th, 2006, 6:18 pm

First, I'd like to thank you for leting me to see the images. :)

Seems implementing this future takes a considerable time. Anyway, I'll keep it in my mind, maybe I can find an easy solution.
Kambiz
Kambiz
Administrator
Administrator

Postby kokkoras » April 5th, 2006, 7:16 pm

HPW wrote:The discussed Group-feature could help in this case maybe.
Make a normal visible node and very small connect nodes where you
want to connect the links. Then group the normal and the connect node together to be handled as one thing.

Very nasty (in a good sense of course)! :wink:

The problem with the visual representation is troubling whene it comes to associating shapes with the world. If it was only for the eye-candy then Photoshop or Corel is better. But for programming tools it is impossible (IMHO) to stay generic and flexible at the same time. At some point every app requires some amount of specialization to cover its specific requirements.
Fotis
kokkoras

Postby HPW » April 6th, 2006, 7:39 am

But for programming tools it is impossible (IMHO) to stay generic and flexible at the same time. At some point every app requires some amount of specialization to cover its specific requirements.

Agreed.
But a component should stay generic and the specialization should take place in the application. :wink:
Hans-Peter
HPW

Return to DELPHI AREA Projects