Possible Bug in PrintPreview???

Please post bug reports, feature requests, or any question regarding the DELPHI AREA projects here.

Possible Bug in PrintPreview???

Postby EPS » September 1st, 2005, 7:00 pm

Hi @ all,

At first: Sorry for my english.

Now, i use the excellent "Print Preview Suite v4.62" to create a Preview Window for Images that should be printed. It works very well except one little thing.

In my Version, the user can adjust the Printer Properties ONLY in the Standard PrinterSetupDialog. UsePrinterOptions is set to True.

If i choose a new Paper Format (i.e. A5) and then it calls the CreatePages Procedure (the same way like the 'general demo'), BUT, i can not see the new format in the Preview. If i open again the Dialog and accept with OK (no other choice) than the change will be come. A little bit strange.

All other choices (i.e. Portrait or Landscape) i can see directly - no Problem with this.

Here is the Code for the PrinterSetupDialog - must be normal:

Code: Select all
procedure TMainForm.SetupButtonClick(Sender: TObject);
begin
  if PrintPreview.State = psReady then
    if PrinterSetupDialog.Execute then CreatePages;
end;

I hope anybody understand the problem and again...sorry for my english...

Thanks...EPS
EPS

Postby Kambiz » September 2nd, 2005, 9:57 am

Hi,

When UsePrinterOptions property is True, the new printer settings are available after call to BeginDoc method. Therefore, if you use this settings to calculate page bounds before calling to BeginDoc, the result would be wrong. I gess you did that.

To solve the problem, either you have to use printer settings after calling BeginDoc method or set UsePrinterOptions to False and call GetPrinterOptions method manually before using the printer settings.

Cheers
Kambiz
Kambiz
Administrator
Administrator

Postby EPS » September 2nd, 2005, 12:45 pm

No, that's not the reason...

I think you don't understand me correctly. I try again to explain (maybe with pictures it is easyer)...

Ok, in my program i do the following:

1. After the start i see in the preview the standard Paper Format (A4)

2. I press the button "PrinterSetup" and get the Dialog. In the Dialog i choose the Paper Format "Creditcard" and press OK.

3. The Preview looks like before.

4. I press again the "PrinterSetup" Button and now i press only OK.

5. Now, the Preview is correctly. (specialy the Thumbnailpreview)

And that's the Problem.

OK, another Test: If i call the SetupDialog and i choose only Portrait or Landscape, the Preview takes this effect immediately.

and again a Test: If i call the SetupDialog and i choose a new Paper Format together with a new Printer, the Preview takes this effect immediately.

...Result...my Function works correct, i can't explain why they do that, an the only reason can be that there is a little Bug in the Preview Routine (specialy the Routine for the Thumbnail Preview).

I hope u can help me, thank you very much...
EPS

Postby Kambiz » September 2nd, 2005, 4:30 pm

Before than posting my previous I checked the issue on my machine and I didn't see something wrong.

By the way, if you are relying on my sample codes, they have all that problem that I described. Because they don't use printer options in the way you are using.

If you are sure about your code, the problem could be because of your printer driver.

Anyway, try this code:

Code: Select all
procedure TMainForm.SetupButtonClick(Sender: TObject);
begin
  if PrintPreview.State = psReady then
    if PrinterSetupDialog.Execute then
    begin
      PrintPreview.GetPrinterOptions;
      CreatePages;
    end;
end;
Kambiz
Kambiz
Administrator
Administrator

Postby EPS » September 2nd, 2005, 4:35 pm

Ok, in this case i think the problem is my printer, i also tried out your idea, but it's also not working.

But...thank you very much for your help and for this first class function.
EPS

Return to DELPHI AREA Projects