Firemonkey

Please post bug reports, feature requests, or any question regarding the DELPHI AREA projects here.

Firemonkey

Postby mdeioris » October 22nd, 2012, 9:12 am

What about firemonkey porting for TPrintPreview ?
mdeioris

Re: Firemonkey

Postby Kambiz » October 23rd, 2012, 4:57 pm

Sounds good but I have no interest in programming with Delphi anymore.
Kambiz
Kambiz
Administrator
Administrator

Postby glabz74 » October 26th, 2012, 5:50 pm

Why you stop work with delphi ? What programming language do you use now ?
glabz74

Postby Kambiz » October 28th, 2012, 7:23 pm

The main reason is that Embarcadero does not maintain Delphi as I expect:
  • For years they were behind the technology and just recently tried to fill the gap.
  • They don't pay attention to user manuals and documentations. The current online documents are full of auto generated stubs.
I am not bond to a specific programming language. Depends on the project I may use Java, C#, C++ or PHP. But definitely no more Delphi.
Kambiz
Kambiz
Administrator
Administrator

Postby dec » October 30th, 2012, 8:54 am

Hello there,

Kambiz, apparently your first consideration is now "tried to fill the gap". And also you can think in possitive: maybe we save our time with some "non taken" technologies... and about the second consideration, well, it's true the documentation is online just for a few time ago, and the currently avaiable documentation is "autogenerated", but, hey, something is something! And you, particularly, you (in my opinion) no need the documentation. :D

On the other hand you end saying "I am not bond to a specific progamming language. Depends on the project I may use..." So Delphi can stay here, since you can considerer is the right language for some projects. Of coure I only try to tell you that take care about Delphi, you are one of the best programmer that I know, and, Delphi is a tool that can do amazings things on your hands! Of course you no need tips from anyone, and less from my person.

Anyway I hope you have success with all of your projects! Use the language you need and liked. ;)
dec

Postby mathgod » October 31st, 2012, 7:40 pm

dec wrote:..., you are one of the best programmer that I know, ...

Kambiz is on a short list of experts that I seek help from when I get stuck on a Delphi project. There is a lot that can be improved with Embarcadero. Dropping support for and removing the ability to register legacy products from Borland was not helpful. There is no free or personal edition of Delphi offered by Embarcadero. There is a low-cost edition available but only for those meeting strict eligibility criteria.
mathgod

Postby dec » October 31st, 2012, 8:23 pm

I know... I register a Delphi Starter Edition and then upgrade to a Professional version of Delphi XE2. I have no money at this time to upgrade to XE3, and know that Embarcadero politics are not good for all. However, Delphi is a good product (in my opinion) and Kambiz a master on it, so maybe need to consider it when initiate a new project, for example, when found that Delphi can be the right tool. Anyway I hope the better success to Kambiz, use or not use Delphi. But hey, this is Delphi Area... :)

P.S. When you register Delphi XE3 Professional or above, you get licenses for Delphi 7 and later. At the least I get licenses from Delphi 7 and later when register XE2.
dec

Postby Kambiz » November 4th, 2012, 12:45 pm

First of all, I'd like to thank you for your kind and encouraging words.

You mentioned a good point, Delphi is too expensive for an individual and independent developer. I have to use trial version of Delphi to keep the components/packages here compatible with newer versions of Delphi. It takes a lot of time just to setup the environment for adding a feature to or fixing a bug in a component. This is why you don't see so much updates on this site.

Delphi is losing the market and popularity (see graph). To be able to write a freeware component or package in Delphi, you should be rich enough to buy at least the Professional version of Delphi.

Do you think C# was still a popular language if there was no express edition of Visual Studio? In my opinion, if Embarcadero wants to save Delphi, they should provide a free edition of Delphi for open source community.
Kambiz
Kambiz
Administrator
Administrator

Postby dec » November 4th, 2012, 1:13 pm

I cannot understand how you, Kambiz, did not receive a free copy of Delphi from Embarcadero. Your work at Delphi Area deserves it. Maybe some big fish at Embarcadero read this land think that it's a very bad idea to deal with all the people in the same way. I really cannot understand how you need to deal with trial versions in order to maintain your work at Delphi Area.

On the other hand... maybe you can put a price to your Delphi Components, Kambiz, a reasonable license fee. A way (not a donation, optional way) to get some money from your work, so maybe you can, at the least, acquiare a Delphi license. Think on this Kambiz... convert your Delphi components in shareware, put it a reasonable license fee, and wait for people who want to contribute to keep Delphi Area up.
dec

Postby Kambiz » November 11th, 2012, 7:29 pm

I don't think that making the components shareware gives me enough money to buy Delphi XE3.

Maybe changing the site to a way that everybody can contribute more effectively provides a better result.
Kambiz
Kambiz
Administrator
Administrator

Postby dec » November 11th, 2012, 9:07 pm

One thing is clear: you provide a good collection of Delphi components that some people use in their projects, for example, I use several of your components in some of my projects. If you decide to put these components in a "donation" mode, for one or other reason, not all bodies that use the components pay for these or make a donation. My case, righw now, with my PayPal account raising the zero...

In my opinion and own experience is a better idea to put a price for a license. I don't know what ammount can be good, since you have lots of components, but, ever when every person who use your components pay you say $50 or $100, I think you finally can buy a Delphi XE3 license, at least a Profesional license, and maybe get some money to at the least pay some cool beers.

If you never try... never know the results Kambiz!
dec

Postby Kambiz » November 12th, 2012, 9:01 pm

I don't like the idea of changing the freeware license to shareware. It's against my initial intention on writing these components. But it's a good idea for new stuffs, thanks.

Once I tried ShareIt for donation and after several months there was a few tens of dollars on the account. Apparently not enough for buying a copy of Delphi but there was some hope. However, ShareIt blocked my account because I was not selling a product and donation was against their policy. Maybe I should try it once again with PayPal.
Kambiz
Kambiz
Administrator
Administrator

Postby dec » November 13th, 2012, 8:18 am

Hi Kambiz,

In my opinion, not only in the new stuff can be considered another license. For example, the I18n Package is now free, OK, but, what happend with the updates, error fixes and enhancements? I think this kind of stuff can be part of a new license. And the same can be said about any of your other currently free components. What about their updates, fixes and enhancements? But is your decision Kambiz. I only put my honest opinion here but respect your decision whatever you take.

On the other hand... I work long time ago with ShareIt, and now with PayPal. I think PayPal, even when their comissions, etc., can be a good idea. Considerer to open a PayPal account and to provide the appropiate PayPal links... but for acquire licenses of your components Kambiz, not only for optional donations, because in this case you have less incomes,... but it's not fair that you provide excellent components and we provide... what?
dec

Return to DELPHI AREA Projects