PrintPreview character width

Please post bug reports, feature requests, or any question regarding the DELPHI AREA projects here.

PrintPreview character width

Postby wpxyz » January 3rd, 2011, 6:41 pm

Hi,

PrintPreview is a great component, and there is a chance that it will replace many of my Quickreport outputs since it gives me better control over print layout.

Some of my programs are compiled with D7/Win2k at 1280x1024 resolution. When running such a program on a different computer (XP, 1280x800) I realize that preview and printout are strangely distorted such as if the characters were too wide. The characters are also partially overlapping as written in an older posting (viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1262&p=4834&hilit=printpreview#p4834). I could fix the printout issue by activating DirectPrint, but the preview of course still has the same issue.

Is there a solution to this issue in the meantime? Could it be that different mapping factors should be applied because of the different vertical resolutions?

By the way, how can I get the correct page number in case of DirectPrint? In the OnNewPage event I initially used the CurrentPage property to display the page number, but this is not updated if DirectPrint=true. I solved this by incrementing a counter variable in each OnNewPage event, but it would be nice to have this in the component.

With kind regards
Werner
wpxyz

Re: PrintPreview character width

Postby Kambiz » January 8th, 2011, 12:17 pm

Hi,

I try to fix the wide screen issue on the next release of the component.
I will also add a property to know page number of the page that owns the canvas.

Thank you!
Kambiz
Kambiz
Administrator
Administrator

Postby wpxyz » January 8th, 2011, 6:59 pm

Thank you, I am looking forward to it.

Werner
wpxyz

Postby Kambiz » February 5th, 2011, 7:43 am

I started working on the new release of PrintPreview.
While looking at the code, I noticed that there is already a property to find out the page owning the canvas. That property is CanvasPageNo. :)
Kambiz
Kambiz
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Kambiz » February 5th, 2011, 8:38 am

Werner,

I tested PrintPreview on different screen resolutions and different DPI settings, and characters appeared correctly as expected on all cases. Apparently the problem is not because of these settings.
Kambiz
Kambiz
Administrator
Administrator

Postby wpxyz » February 8th, 2011, 10:31 pm

Kambiz,

thanks for your efforts.

I missed the CanvasPageNo property, it does exactly what I want.

I did some research on the character width issue on four PCs I have access to, with Win2000, XP and 7, most of them with non 4:3 resolution ratios and could not confirm the issue, except for the notebook referred to in my first posting. So I think this has nothing to do with the PrintPreview component.

Thanks again for your great work.
Werner
wpxyz

Postby mestro » May 3rd, 2011, 10:13 pm

Last edited by mestro on July 30th, 2020, 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mestro

Postby Kambiz » May 7th, 2011, 4:15 am

Before I didn't have character width problem in PrintPreview with TrueType/OpenType fonts. But now I can confirm that the problem exist. I suspect the problem is caused because of either a Windows update or display driver update.
Kambiz
Kambiz
Administrator
Administrator

Return to DELPHI AREA Projects