[Announce/SitePimping]dsPdf

Please post bug reports, feature requests, or any question regarding the DELPHI AREA projects here.

[Announce/SitePimping]dsPdf

Postby odisej » April 8th, 2007, 11:45 am

Dear all

Just to announce, I have developed dll that can convert metafiles to pdf. I've choosen as an example of how to use this dll PrintPreview component from this site as well. Feel free to visit http://delphistep.cis.si, look for dsPdf in Freeware components section.

Regards

Grega
odisej

Postby Johnny_Bit » April 8th, 2007, 3:30 pm

Wow, that's great, but seriously, dude... Why would one really bother to use this while there's no good header file for it. You should make one and also provide good documentation/samples.

And it's not my business to ask, but why don't make it GPL? You know, better stuff than yours had been made to GPL and not a single one ever after said it was a bad choice.

Oh, and I moved this because it isn't strictly related to DA's Components. If any mod or Kambiz would feel it appropriate to move it Back or wherever, please feel free to do it.
Johnny_Bit
VIP Member
VIP Member

Postby odisej » April 8th, 2007, 10:14 pm

If you think nobody needs this you can delete it.

But as I checked PrintPreview and did not find how to export things to pdf I decided to post this. Perhaps you should take one GLP component for creating pdfs and write example how to use that with PrintPreview.
odisej

Postby Kambiz » April 9th, 2007, 5:11 am

Definitely it's a useful stuff for PrintPreview users.
Kambiz
Kambiz
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Kambiz » April 9th, 2007, 7:43 am

I just updated TPrintPreview by including support for dsPDF libarary.

The quality of output pdf is perfect. But as Johnny said, the demo message is annoying. I suggest instead of the simple message "This is demo", you include a more precise message to describe what is demo and how to obtain the full version.

By the way, is there any document for the exported functions of the library?

Thanks for your great work.

P.S. I moved the topic back to its original forum because now it's part of the print preview component.
Kambiz
Kambiz
Administrator
Administrator

Postby odisej » April 9th, 2007, 8:34 pm

Kambiz wrote:I just updated TPrintPreview by including support for dsPDF libarary.

The quality of output pdf is perfect. But as Johnny said, the demo message is annoying. I suggest instead of the simple message "This is demo", you include a more precise message to describe what is demo and how to obtain the full version.

By the way, is there any document for the exported functions of the library?

Thanks for your great work.

P.S. I moved the topic back to its original forum because now it's part of the print preview component.

The output is not perfect sometimes (when SetMapMode is used and stuff like that). This dll is somehow freeware meaning you don't have to pay for it, but you still need to send me postcard via snailmail. I will provide detaled information into that dialog in the next days.

Right now I don't have any document describing exported functions. As soon as somebody will need this I will write a short document.
odisej

Postby Johnny_Bit » April 10th, 2007, 8:05 am

Then it's not free-ware, it's postcard-ware. I don't know about your idea of documenting stuff, but personally I think that if there is no source to read from (demos don't really count) then it's obligatory to write decent documentation. Take a look here: http://www.gnu.org/manual/ they are very decent when it comes to documentation. I especially love GNU Libc manual, where every tiny function is described with enormous detail and many come with simple demo. It's very good practice to write good documentation when you show stuff to public.
Johnny_Bit
VIP Member
VIP Member

dsPDF problem with pictures

Postby yannick » May 19th, 2007, 9:00 pm

Hello,
Great work !!!

It works very fine with almost documents, i have try it with default rtf page of tprintpreview from kambiz, and just add the dspdf dll in the same folder, i get an exception error "not a b/w image" and the pdf is not generated. In my application i get the same error of course, the problem come from pictures in the canvas, in my app i use BMP ou PNG (with tpngobject). Do you get the same problem ?

Another remark, your DLL doesnt have any version informations, i will be very good to add the version in next releases.

Thank you !

Yannick
yannick

Postby Kambiz » May 20th, 2007, 11:42 am

Could you please send me the suspicious picture to check it out? But seems the problem is inside the dll.
Kambiz
Kambiz
Administrator
Administrator

Problem with dsPDF.dll

Postby yannick » May 20th, 2007, 12:01 pm

Kambiz wrote:Could you please send me the suspicious picture to check it out? But seems the problem is inside the dll.

I have verify the picture, and this file is good, but i think that the problem comes from the dsPDF file, in your general demo of tprintpreview, i get the problem too... (i am testing it on delphi 7 update1)

Do you test the default document of your demo with the dsPDF ? may be the version of dspdf is not the same than mine ? (so i ask the developper to take care of this).

As i told you in my last reply, i get the problem with your general demo too, so no need to send you the picture of my test.

thank you kambiz !

yannick
yannick

Postby Kambiz » May 20th, 2007, 1:39 pm

No, I don't have the problem.
Attachments
test.pdf
The pdf generated by GNERAL demo.
(72.9 KiB) Downloaded 330 times
Kambiz
Kambiz
Administrator
Administrator

sdPDF

Postby yannick » May 20th, 2007, 4:23 pm

i have tested the general demo and the problem occurs the third time of calling newpage in preview.pas (if I > 1 then dsPDF.NewPage;).

i am using delphi 7 + update 1 + TprintPreview V4.75 + demo version of dsPDF.dll (649 728 bytes)

what do you use to make your tests ?

thank you
yannick

Postby Kambiz » May 20th, 2007, 7:28 pm

I've not installed Update 1 of Delphi 7. All other parameters are the same.
Kambiz
Kambiz
Administrator
Administrator

dsPDF

Postby yannick » May 20th, 2007, 8:15 pm

i have write to "odisej", he will include version informations in next releases !!! good.

For the moment, i have make manies tests with dspdf, on differents computers, it works with pictures sometimes, i think that the dll must have problems when printing many pages with pictures.

i get the exception error "not b/w image" ....so i think that willhelo odisej to improve dspdf.

another remark : when i get this error a 0 byte pdf file is generated and not close until application is closed. so "odisej", you have forget to close the pdf file after errors occured.

thank you

yannick
yannick

Postby Kambiz » May 20th, 2007, 8:34 pm

FYI, I modified genaral demo to create 100 pages of the sample image. The pdf created successfully.
Kambiz
Kambiz
Administrator
Administrator

Next

Return to DELPHI AREA Projects