About Spam Posts: Moderator strikes back

Please discuss topics non-related to Delphi programming here.

About Spam Posts: Moderator strikes back

Postby Johnny_Bit » August 13th, 2006, 8:40 pm

I said once: "To spammers: j00 d34d f00... I pity the fool that posts spam... " and from that time noting has changed. My experience now prooves, that spammers are manace to internet comunity and from this point, as Mod on all subforums on this forum I declare war against spam. Untill now you propably haven't seen spam posts or siply you had ignored it... propably ou haven't seen those posts because Kambiz deleted them on his own or by my notice or I deleted them. Just that, no questions asked, just simple delete. As of now I want spam actions published, that means this thread should be used by users to inform about any spam noticed on this forum and user posting spam. After action of any party capable of doing such things IP address of spammer, account used for registration and many more info will be posted here. What for, do you ask? Simple as it is, to abuse abuse, with this info spammer's isp will be notified, and my experience proves it is working. I won't stop 'till they're finished as that mf neighbour of mine who spammed on by blog, now his internet is cut like grass on my mown. I've had enough, you propably too so let's kick them hard. Hosters of linked sites should be also informed about that fact, and if their only purpose is to host spammer inked sites, the shall be kicked like ball in very long football game, till it's done.

Now let all hell break loose on spammers, any further questions? Let's get it started and drive this ride all along the way to destination point.
Johnny_Bit
VIP Member
VIP Member

Postby kokkoras » August 13th, 2006, 10:22 pm

Coming onto this thread to report spam is not very convinient. Is it possible to add a button/link inside the box/table of each post that when clicked will automatically report the spam, by either creating a post here or sending one to the moderators?
Fotis
kokkoras

Postby Johnny_Bit » August 14th, 2006, 7:29 am

PM me or kambiz or other mod - stefan I think, providing us with link to spam post. about users and mails - its list of people that accounts will be deleted and their mail banned
Johnny_Bit
VIP Member
VIP Member

Postby Kambiz » August 14th, 2006, 4:32 pm

I'll look on MOD's database of phpBB to see what can I find to help us for filtering spammers.

By the way, the most of new spammers come from gawab.com, therefore I banned e-mail addresses from this domain.

Thank you
Kambiz
Kambiz
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Johnny_Bit » August 14th, 2006, 6:26 pm

baning whole domains used by propably legitimate users is waay off. I mean i'd like to see all spammers severly punished, but not legitimate users. better way would be contact admins & abuse sections asap, providing as much info as possible, contact not only to email-providers, but also isp and ban user. do as much as possibe to hurt spammer do nothing to hurt user. simpleto say, yet extremally hard to achieve.
Johnny_Bit
VIP Member
VIP Member

Postby Kambiz » August 14th, 2006, 8:22 pm

By now, I'll list e-mail and IP address of spammers here.
Kambiz
Kambiz
Administrator
Administrator

Postby kokkoras » August 17th, 2006, 9:35 pm

http://forum.delphiarea.com/viewtopic.php?t=851

YAM: Yet Another Spammer

I repeat my earlier post about the possibility of adding a button inside the box of each dispayed post, that when clicked, will automatically report to this thread that this particular post is a spam. I had to do a lot of clicks to report the above post as spam and it's not convenient. Do we have access to the code of the forum pages? I think it would be easy to do the modification, although I am not aware of PHP (in ASP it would be a few lines of code).
Fotis
kokkoras

Postby Johnny_Bit » August 18th, 2006, 5:37 am

kokkoras, you can pm me. keep it in bookmarks.

OK, back to the work:
spammer#1:
IP: 219.240.12.173
name: phsum0003

//ps. I think I saw that IP earlier. and that ip is not registred to any ISP, so it's spoofed or smth, but that IP is quite alive and has cisco stuff on it.

spammer#2:
IP: 217.128.149.244
name: Larissochka
Date of post: 18/08/06 04:50 GMT
ISP abuse: abuse@wanadoo.fr postmaster@wanadoo.fr

//ps. This one is weird, info on her is propably true, but IP from france given to resident of russia's actual city? that IP is currenty down, no info avail except ripe whois DB
Johnny_Bit
VIP Member
VIP Member

Postby kokkoras » August 18th, 2006, 6:57 am

Johnny_Bit wrote:kokkoras, you can pm me. keep it in bookmarks.

ok. I can live with it.

BTW, as you can see, fighting spam is anything but easy.
Fotis
kokkoras

Postby Kambiz » August 18th, 2006, 4:37 pm

There is a new exclamation mark icon Image on top right corner of each post. Clicking on this icon marks the post as bad post. Moderators can see the list of reported posts by clicking on "Report List", which is available on header of the message board.

Johnny_Bit, currently there's a spam message (viewtopic.php?p=3457) on the forum, but I didn't delete it to see how "Report List" works.

Hope that it helps.

Thank you
Kambiz
Kambiz
Administrator
Administrator

Postby kokkoras » August 18th, 2006, 8:31 pm

Kambiz wrote:There is a new exclamation mark icon Image on top right corner of each post. Clicking on this icon marks the post as bad post. Moderators can see the list of reported posts by clicking on "Report List", which is available on header of the message board.

Johnny_Bit, currently there's a spam message (viewtopic.php?p=3457) on the forum, but I didn't delete it to see how "Report List" works.

Hope that it helps.

Thank you

that's great. thanks

edit: at http://forum.delphiarea.com/viewtopic.php?t=854 there is a spam post and there is no exclamation mark. I guess that as soon as someone uses it, it stops appearing to prevent multiple warnings. Is that correct?

I also noticed that edited messages do not contain the exclamation icon. Is it a logic bug?
Fotis
kokkoras

Postby Kambiz » August 19th, 2006, 4:28 am

1. Yes, it's correct.
2. The icon doesn't appear on your own posts.

Seems there is a bug in the new MOD because a guest user can report a post. Currently someone (a guest) has created a huge list of reported posts. :(

It's a shame that people are making the world as a hell and looking for heaven in another world. They are damn stupid.
Kambiz
Kambiz
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Kambiz » August 19th, 2006, 4:59 am

I fixed the bug, so that only registered users can report bad posts.
Kambiz
Kambiz
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Johnny_Bit » August 19th, 2006, 5:23 am

true dat. now let's get on with it:

spammer#1:
IP: 219.240.12.173, 216.32.65.74 //another one unallocated by ripe whois db
name: phsum0003
Date of post: 18/08/06 15:31 GMT

//now maybe also time to poin finger on webpages in spam?
domain#1: hometown.aol.com
folders in d#1: farmsua (-censored-.htm, phentermine.htm), freeringtones2

so, this bitch violates AOL terms of use paragraph 9, so how to report those to aol? well, no probem @ all, just use mailto:TOSSpam@aol.com (had to look for it deeply though). Now I think that admin shoud decide what to do with that info if abuse is unavailable for ip.

//Another good thing would be automatic e-mail confirmation and remember that unchangeably by user, so whenever user posts spam abuse will go (if available) to: his isp, his e-mail provider, his web-space provider, himself. Another spam and his banned, his e-maild also, if in post there's link to already known spam sites post is automaticly reported, user also. What can be cruelest reaction?

And one thing about that report, can we clear status of report or smth?
Johnny_Bit
VIP Member
VIP Member

Postby Kambiz » August 19th, 2006, 5:35 am

To remove a report, the icon should be clicked again. I removed the reports by the GUEST user.

I'll try to change IP lookup of phpBB to a better one.

If you don't mind, I'll answer your question later.
Kambiz
Kambiz
Administrator
Administrator

Next

Return to Miscellaneous