Data Recovery

Please discuss topics non-related to Delphi programming here.

Data Recovery

Postby Kambiz » September 3rd, 2007, 4:55 pm

Any idea how to recover data from a crashed hard disk? [-o<
Kambiz
Kambiz
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Johnny_Bit » September 3rd, 2007, 5:38 pm

in poland a very importatnt data on very crashed disk goes to on-track guys. they can recovr everything but their price is over expectations. dunno 'bout iran.

besides if disk can be "sen" from windows or any systems there are multiple toys that can get data from drive. i would advice software from on-track as it's the best I used.
Thou shalt write the code, not connect the bricks.
Johnny_Bit
VIP Member
VIP Member

Postby HPW » September 3rd, 2007, 7:26 pm

I had a disk crash in spring this year and my backups were relative old! :-(
So I bring my disk to VOGON in munich/Germany and let them rescue the data,
because my disk was totally dead. No chance for a rescue software.
The good thing was that they make an analysis what they can rescue,
and you can decide if you want to do it for the offered price.
(There are also other rescue services here in germany.)
It was very expensive, but I got back my sources.
That was a expensive lesson to backup after each session.
(A external USB disk is much cheaper!)
Hans-Peter
HPW

Postby Kambiz » September 4th, 2007, 1:13 am

Hopefully I had recent back up of my source codes, but the rest is gone. I wish I had a backup of my address book.
The hard disk is totally dead and cannot be accessed at all. But according to your descriptions, for sure I cannot afford the data recovery cost even if it can be recovered. :(
Kambiz
Kambiz
Administrator
Administrator

Postby kokkoras » September 17th, 2007, 1:38 pm

I used an on-line service once (2 years ago). I put my crashed disk on a working machine, downloaded a tool from their site (sorry, I can't recall the company) and let it examine the crashed disk for... 2 days!!! At the end I got a list of what was recoverable and I had to decide the ammount of data (in GBs) I was willing to pay for and recover. Since I have most of my data in 2 PCS ("work" and "home" PCs) it cost me "only" 110 US$, paid on-line by credit card. I recovered 4 DVDs of data, about 20GB.

In another case I accidentaly deleted almost all my mp3 folders (direct delete - no recycle bin was used). I used a shreware tool with restricted ability for recovery (They wanted me to buy it for full recovery) but at the end I found a cracked version and saved some $.

The case of completly dead HD is the most difficult. AFAIK, they open the disk to get the platters and put them in a similar model with working mechanism. In another case, a friend of mine changed the HD controler (the power shocket was broken) with a working controler from another, same disk. This is easier - no need to open the HD case and remove the platters.
Fotis
kokkoras

Postby Kambiz » September 18th, 2007, 7:49 am

Mine is totally dead! Also, it's a notebook hard disk that makes things more difficult.
Kambiz
Kambiz
Administrator
Administrator

Postby cozturk » September 18th, 2007, 8:02 am

Disk seem on bios? if yes many utils can be used to recover it. refer , Hiren's boot disk.
But proccessing too slow. run it before sleeping... After 5-6 hours all recoverable files shown.

I have used Test disk for recovering my lost partitions. but another useful tools present on .Hiren's boot disk
cozturk

Re: Data Recovery

Postby honeycrippen12 » January 1st, 2011, 7:32 am

honeycrippen12

Return to Miscellaneous