D2005 bugs. Free D2006 for D2005 users?

Please discuss general Delphi programming topics here.

Should Borland give D2006 free for those who bought D2005

Yes
83%
No
17%

Total votes : 6

D2005 bugs. Free D2006 for D2005 users?

Postby Edwin » December 6th, 2005, 8:44 am

I used to work with D7. Now I am using D2005 for a month. Update 1,2 and 3 had to be installed and still there are problems. Sometimes I even have to restart my computer.
Borland did already release D2006. Now I wonder if it is fair to let people/companies pay for D2006 after they payed for a 'buggy' D2005.

Edwin
Edwin

Postby Johnny_Bit » December 11th, 2005, 9:08 pm

It is fair. They developed is as good as they could, and they must pay to their developers, managers and many other peope. But to be honest, I like other way, where bugs are fixed in less tha month, where you pay not for application itself, but as appreciation for developers and poject managers, where you can fix bugs as you want and if you can; The Open Source Way (it souded bad, hasn't it?).

Good open source, isn't it? Now about free commercial product developed by single company. Will your crappy car be replaced with new model when it's out, or when you ask for it for free? I don't think so. And saying that Delphi is software, not physical "thing" won't change a thing. Is that way Clear?
Johnny_Bit
VIP Member
VIP Member

Postby Edwin » December 11th, 2005, 11:59 pm

Ok, there where updates and we installed them. But still I have problems. Sometimes I have to restart my computer.
If they still make fixes for Delphi 2005, then it is ok, but if I need to use 2006 to solve the problems, then it is not fair.
I have to admit that Delphi 2005 is good tooling. I like the idea of program groups. You can even make websides with it, but I almost lost a html page due to a bug in Delphi.

Edwin
Edwin

Postby Kambiz » December 12th, 2005, 5:27 am

I agree with Edwin. Both IDE and Compiler have bugs in Delphi 2005, and they should do something about it.
Kambiz
Kambiz
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Johnny_Bit » December 12th, 2005, 10:34 am

Well, personally I gave up struggling with delphi bugs, and updates, that don't fix'em but add new...
Johnny_Bit
VIP Member
VIP Member

Postby werdnareid » June 3rd, 2006, 12:06 am

Did you absolutely have to upgrade? My take on the matter.
Sure if I get crap from you, you should fix it. But when they find the bugs it may take time for them to get the fixes out to the public(if its a lot or just not that important)
I use 7 and I still do after checking out 2005 and 2006 there was really no need to upgrade or buy a new copy. Basically I did not have to spend the extra cash to buy the bugs
werdnareid

Postby Kambiz » June 3rd, 2006, 11:09 am

I use Delphi 6 and I'm happy with it. :)

I have only the other versions (except 2006) to check compatibility of my components with them.
Kambiz
Kambiz
Administrator
Administrator

I use Delphi 6 + 7 and I'm happy with it.

Postby norbert » June 3rd, 2006, 12:18 pm

I've been a programmer for more than 35 years, and I used to program with Fortran, Assembler and Pascal. Looking back I constate that bugs are mostly increasing with increasing dependency.
Borland made themselves dependant from MS and their policy of monopolism. So every changement in MS code not openly published by MS is a big handicap for Borland.
They should rather change to LINUX more intensively and thus obtaining a huge number of clients from the scientific sceene with a big multiplication factor.

In fact there are a lot of problems with software taday because of MS's strategy of 'imperialism'. Be shure they will fail in near future as soon as an increasing number of leading people will be aware of the fact that they cannot make themselves dependent from one single unpublished frequently changing OS and the concern machinary behind it. No authority and no company in the world can afford beeing dependent that way in future.

Borland and their customers always trying to get the latest product versions will not have any chance with their .NET dependent software because MS always will be lots of steps in front and always the winner.

Norbert

//corrected gramar error.
norbert

Postby Johnny_Bit » June 3rd, 2006, 5:52 pm

And as way younger, yet experienced programmer I must agree with norbert, that borland took path that will eventually lead to it's downfall. As of today with they products getting worse and worse and thay can't stop it because of MS policy, the only way is switch to open source community or circle around them. Every change is well documented and so fast and steady bugfixing that MS don't even dream about.

When it comes to real development, depending on code that you could only guess what it exacly does rather than knowing exacly, is bad policy. Scientists and man of science learnt that lesson before even troubles occur, that's why on almost every university on world you can easily find unix-based systems, that are sure, stable, and secure (and many more positives to them).

Now Borland choosing partnership with ms and their extremally bad policy, must expect some of hardest troubles, and so their customers. That's why you have so many bugs, that's why everyone is complaining about ms software and every product that is based on it, and that's why I was programming in Delphi but no longer am. Open-source community is better, and after more than 10 years relationship with ms software and 2 years with opensource, I must tell that for more than a year I only develop using normal system and near-perfect tools, not ones that can give you BSOD for no reason at all.

Take it as advice, advice it to your friends, once you see the light, you won't ever want to go back to darkness...

ps. Woo... Did someone actually understood me? Because I hardly can.
ps2. To claryfy: currently my only answers to Delphi questions are limited to my past experiance and memory... and books on my shelf and things on my hard-drive...
Johnny_Bit
VIP Member
VIP Member

Return to Delphi Programming