Writing an Application with an Embedded Database

Please discuss general Delphi programming topics here.

Writing an Application with an Embedded Database

Postby minckle » March 3rd, 2004, 1:15 pm

I'm currently writing an application using delphi 5 and MySQL as a backend database. I've got the app working fine and theres no problems.

When i go to install the app on another computer i need to install MySQL and its drivers onto the machine

is there any software/database i can use that embeds a database and there drivers into my application ?????

What i want to achieve is a fully installable desktop app i can send to some1 that, when they install the app, the app, database, and drivers all install as one ????

Not sure if im making any sense

For example
I recenlty bought a post code finder desktop application, somewhere in this application there must be a database. how would that database be created / used?????
Thanks
minckle

Postby Kambiz » March 4th, 2004, 2:01 am

If you have a tiny database, I suggest to use MS Access database (ADO & MS Jet Engine). Microsoft Jet Engine is part of Windows.
Kambiz
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Roko » March 11th, 2004, 10:05 am

If, OTOH, your database may grow over time, or you need fast and feature-rich SQL engine, you should look at Firebird (http://www.ibphoenix.com/). It has embedded version, which is included in main install. Your exe would need to be linked to client dll, which is the only extra file you'd need to install on clients' machines.

HTH.
Roko

Return to Delphi Programming