What is Delphi?

Please discuss general Delphi programming topics here.

What is Delphi?

Postby wmdino » February 25th, 2004, 1:47 pm

I have a general question for anyone. Basically, what is Delphi? I used to be an active Pascal Programmer many years ago and when Delphi first came out I wrote it off as a "database only" language. Most of my programming requirements are for real-time process control where I have to manipulate input/output address directly on plug-in cards to control external events.

1) Does Delphi allow you access to I/O and memory addresses, generate or respond to interupts, etc.?

2) Does Delphi supply application programs which will generate source code for creating the user interface? (Like Borland C++ builder, etc.) In other words, can I create screens, buttons, etc with a "drag and drop" type of architecture or will I have to write code directly to accomplish this task?

I looked at some of the source code from the freeware on this forum and was impressed. I may have missed the boat these last few years as it seeems that Delphi may allow me to get back into a variant of the language I enjoy (Pascal).

Thanks in advance.
- Bill
wmdino

Postby Johnny_Bit » February 25th, 2004, 6:18 pm

wow, tahat was true ROTFL of year.

Do you know that delphi is older than C++ Builder? C++ builder was based on delphi. Besides, if you know good C++builder, then i can ensure you that with delphi you should have no problem. (ofcourse version 7 and earlier). You just need to look at some demos and you can start making true fast program, that can do practicly everything you want

answers:
1. Yes, big YES
2. YESS and that was idea taken from delphi to C++ builder
Johnny_Bit
VIP Member
VIP Member

Return to Delphi Programming