Installing Components from Source

Please discuss general Delphi programming topics here.

Installing Components from Source

Postby geowink » March 31st, 2009, 3:55 pm

I'm using Delphi 6 but recently purchased Delphi 2009. I have some components that are in source form (a 3rd party that disappeared) but I just can't figure out how to add them into D2009. It just isn't obvious to me. D6 has an Install Component that can be done from source but I can't find it for 2009. I'm feeling dumb. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

George
George
geowink

Re: Installing Components from Source

Postby w2m » March 31st, 2009, 4:21 pm

Open the dpk file and in the package editor on the right side of the Delphi ide right click to popup a menu and then select compile. If it is a designtime dpk then select install from the popup menu. If the component has both a runtime and designtime dpks compile the runtime dpk first, then compile the designtime component. Finally select the designtime component and select install from the popupmenu. If all went well there should be a message that tells you that the was component installed. Then add the path to the component in the Tools -> Options -> Libary Win32 dialog.

Some Delphi 6 components have to be modified for Delphi 2009 escpecially if they use PChar or Strings... If this is the case the best option is to get the source for a Delphi 2009 version of the component.

Hope this helps and I have explained it well enough.
w2m
w2m

Postby geowink » March 31st, 2009, 11:05 pm

Thanks for the help. I tried that but ran into trouble. I opened a dpk file (there are several) and tried to compile it. It came up with an error; it couldn't find a dcu for a particular file. That was weird because the source file for that file is present and I sure don't have the dcu - only for D6. This stuff is from a 3rd party that has disappeared and it grieves me 'cause the components are excellent. Any other suggestion? There are some specific components I'd like so I'll try to set up a dpk just for them and see what happens. Thanks again.

George
George
geowink

Postby w2m » April 1st, 2009, 12:00 pm

if a dcu can not be found either Delphi can not find the path to it or more likely, it has not been compiled yet.

What is the components name?
How many dpk's are there?

You have to figure out which dpk must be compiled first, then move on to the 2nd or 3rd depending on how many dpk's there are. then finally when all run time dpks are compiled, compile then install the design time dpk.

If a dpk uses another dpk the dpk it uses must be compiled first.

In the IDE you can tell this by looking at the requires node of the file tree which shows the contents of the dpk when you open it.
If a dependent dpk is needed it will say something like:
requires
rtl.dcp < - i am a standard vcl dpk
vcl.dcp < - i am a standard vcl dpk
vclimg.dcp < - i am a standard vcl dpk
ImageTypes120.dcp <- compile me first
LowLevel120.dcp <- compile me first

All of these required dpks must be compiled first.
w2m
w2m

Postby geowink » April 5th, 2009, 7:58 pm

Thanks for the help. I've been away and will see what I can do to make this work. If I can't I have a huge problem with fixes. Thanks.

George
George
geowink

Return to Delphi Programming