Questions from a newb

Please discuss general Delphi programming topics here.

Questions from a newb

Postby fmwyso » October 15th, 2007, 5:54 pm

Hey, first of i'd like to say that I know barely anything about Delphi and that i am not that great when it comes to programming. But, i have worked with Vb express and Autoplay media studio (Both very script-like codes).

I would like to know the codes, functions or strings i need to do the following:

-- Writing to variables or strings (i can't understand this yet, even though i've stared at source code with it... So how does it really work?)

-- Play a music file from a folder (Please specify what file type it needs to be, etc.)

-- How to convert numbers... I want to convert a number into a %(I.E. String1 divided by 100 = String2 divided by string 3... I would like to be able to display these strings.. each converted for each other... In other words, show the %, max and current amount in 3 different labels)

-- How annoying of a newb i am being asking these questions.

I'm sure i'll have more later on, and thanks for your time. Hopefully i'm not sounding too needy :P.
fmwyso

Postby Johnny_Bit » October 17th, 2007, 4:40 pm

Have you ever considered buying a book on Delphi basics? or even tried searching some basic info on some newbie sites? if not, try that first and I assure you that after 50 pages of some good book all your answers will be answered.

about annoyance: I just hate people that ask questions first before searching or even doing some work into it. Or people who say that something doesn't work but they haven't even tried it or made mistake somewhere else. Guess where you belong.
Thou shalt write the code, not connect the bricks.
Johnny_Bit
VIP Member
VIP Member

Postby fmwyso » October 17th, 2007, 4:46 pm

No money, job, car or ability to ride a bike or run anywhere :P. I'm 16 and i just had back surgery :P. Do you think i could probably find an e-book on it? I searched google but all i could find were lousy tutorials on random sites that were A. Very very very confusing B. way too much words that they wrote. Although, it's perfectly fine to read around and look for these codes.

-- I looked around, found a couple math open source programs but the problem is i can't read them. All they had were executions of data and variables programs that they put into the system and i am unable to find in the code. One of the codes was something like this.

Code: Select all
if RadioGroup1.Items[RadioGroup1.ItemIndex] = 'Calc' then
begin
tCalcVar:=true
end;

I searched around the program to try and find where they were getting tCalcVar but couldn't find it so i couldn't learn anything from them.
fmwyso

Postby Kambiz » October 18th, 2007, 12:10 pm

Kambiz
Kambiz
Administrator
Administrator

Postby fmwyso » October 19th, 2007, 7:10 am

I did the small tutorials and checked out the rest of things but honestly... None of it even taught me anything. I checked out some of their resources but none of it told me what i needed in order to perform these functions.
fmwyso

Postby Kambiz » October 19th, 2007, 8:59 am

Search for "Mastering Delphi", and I'm sure you will find its e-book.
Kambiz
Kambiz
Administrator
Administrator

Postby fmwyso » October 19th, 2007, 10:02 am

Found that e-book with a search easily :P. But i have a question, if i'm using Delphi 7 will it change it dramatically or will the book still make sense with 7? If i cut out the ASP.Net and Microsoft.Net runtime parts of course :P.

Also, I've been experimenting and was able to work around to find the mathematical functions. Currently, i'm stumped at division. If i want it to divide into a number with decimals... how do i allow it to do that? I tried making it divide and them multiply by 100 but that doesn't work so any ideas?
-- I just have it multiply by 100 before and div by 100 after. If there are any simpler solutions tell me please :p.
fmwyso

Postby Kambiz » October 19th, 2007, 10:00 pm

Newer versions of Delphi are almost backward compatible with the older versions.

Regarding to your second question, do you need fraction of a division? If yes, assign the result of division (using / operator) to a variable of Single, Double or Extended data type. Anyway, if you read the book, you'll find the answer by yourself.
Kambiz
Kambiz
Administrator
Administrator

Postby fmwyso » October 20th, 2007, 12:01 am

Got it, didn't read the book cuz i thought it wouldn't help me due to delphi version :P. But since it does, i'll read it and thanks.
fmwyso

Return to Delphi Programming