Future Windows User Interfaces for Applications

Please discuss general Delphi programming topics here.

Future Windows User Interfaces for Applications

Postby totoliciu » September 22nd, 2007, 8:02 pm

We are surrounded by graphics and user interfaces, starting from electronic devices and continuing with software.
Operating systems have support for interesting user interfaces features, but none of them seem to be used.

We often face applications having static user interfaces. The interesting thing is that companies have everything needed to build up dynamic user interactive applications. There may be several reasons why they are not doing this, though this is not my concern.

As a counter-attack to this, I have done a little demonstration application. It has a dynamic user interface and demonstrates in a simple fashion that user interfaces can be more attractive than the good old rectangular windows that we see each day.

You can view a demonstration at the following link

Rotating Circles Form

I hope that my work will light ideas in people's minds.
totoliciu

Postby Johnny_Bit » September 23rd, 2007, 10:07 am

Yes, I see that kind of interface would be good, but only to inexperienced users, maybe others too, when used properly. However I as an user myself don't see it anywhere near apps that I interfere with. For example, I most of the time use keyboard, and not just for programming, I mean almost always, like I don't click on buttons on Audacious, I use keyboard shortcuts, the same is true for every app I use, even graphics ones. Besides that, animation that is not explicitly needed simply ticks me off. I maybe alone in my statement, but in my opinion interfaces should be made to let people do their work faster, not to be shiny.

When I was designing interfaces for apps I usually took every possible approach not to make app in way I want it to be, but to let users choose how they want it to be. That means I let them create their own interface to my app in simplest ways that I could. That sometimes created problem that some people are too stupid to understand what they want. Of course that nice interface of yours combined with my dynamic strategies and so on could help them, but in the end they would settle for simple toolbar with icons they know for a looong time. As they say, good is the enemy of better.
Thou shalt write the code, not connect the bricks.
Johnny_Bit
VIP Member
VIP Member

Postby totoliciu » September 24th, 2007, 9:59 am

You have a very good point!

I like keyboards, too. :)
It is just that there are many users that want to be impressed. Who does not want to?
I think from all the comments made on forums to my presentation, yours is the most tight to realism. I enjoy a nice interface, but not too shinny winny for a programming language. Like you have said, needless animation annoys.
I've seen some Visual Studio Add-Ons with flying arrows to where the source code should be written etc. God! I even could not focus on code!!! I am not a VS lover / coder. A friend showed me the super plug-in. :)
I asked him if he can use that thing. And gues what? HE LOVED IT.

People are very different.
totoliciu

Postby Johnny_Bit » September 24th, 2007, 7:26 pm

it depends. Like everything. IMO the best interface would be the one that would show tool tips, direct what to do and when and so on only to the inexperienced user, but with time pass on to interface that doesn't get into the way.

Currently I love interface that shows me everything I want to see and can flawlessly take me to the needed point, but when I'm on th task it just gets the hell out of the way. I believe that is true with Code::Blocks.
Thou shalt write the code, not connect the bricks.
Johnny_Bit
VIP Member
VIP Member

Return to Delphi Programming