FTP a Database to the server

Please discuss general Delphi programming topics here.

FTP a Database to the server

Postby Kapilshah » February 23rd, 2007, 10:14 pm

hey guys

I need to FTP an MS Access Database onto the server machine using Delphi . I need to first get connected to the server machine, enter a password and then send the Database that is on the client machine to a specific directory on the Server machine. I need to do all of that using Delphi.

Anybody knows how to do it, please do let me know and if possible in detail since i am new to Delphi.
Thank you

Kapil
Kapilshah

Postby Johnny_Bit » February 24th, 2007, 7:45 am

indy components -> ftp client. viola.
Johnny_Bit
VIP Member
VIP Member

how to use the indy component

Postby Kapilshah » February 26th, 2007, 4:12 pm

hey

I am trying to use the indy component but i dont know how to use the components. I am a novice in Delphi programming so your help will be greatly appreciated.

Actually there is a form where i take the host name, useerid, password, path through editbox, and then I would want to use this information to get connected to the FTP server.

I read about Indy component and its various methods, but I dont know how to declare or use it.

Thank you for help.
Kapilshah

how to use TidFTP in Indy components?

Postby Kapilshah » February 26th, 2007, 4:17 pm

actually I read about TIdFTP, but I dont know how to declare it and use the methods that defined under that class. how should I incorporate it in the form.
Thanks
Kapilshah

Postby Kambiz » February 27th, 2007, 10:51 am

You just need to drop TIdFTP on your form. Then at runtime you should connect to server and issue the FTP commands.

I guess you do not know much abou FTP commands. Use the following link as a reference.
http://www.wu-ftpd.org/rfc/
Kambiz
Kambiz
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Johnny_Bit » February 27th, 2007, 7:19 pm

Oh, my bad... I should point out that to actually use FTP one needs to know how to use it. As it is with anything complicated my advice to inexperienced users is: try by small steps. Sometimes it's better to learn it on your own than have answer on the plate.
Johnny_Bit
VIP Member
VIP Member

Check out the examples/demos

Postby eashton » March 6th, 2007, 1:00 am

If you check in the demo directories within your delphi installation you will find an Indy FTP example programme. The programme (I am using delphi 6) shows how to connect and upload files.

Best of luck
eashton

Return to Delphi Programming